Thursday, July 18, 2024

99 Problems but My Hip Ain't One

 It's funny how in the first few days after my hip replacement surgery, I felt like I could write a daily update.  The progress was so rapid and so noticeable and so exciting.  To somewhat quote the great Alanis Morrissette, we'll fast forward to a few weeks later.  Or four months later, to be exact.  There is still plenty of progress, but it's definitely more subtle and most likely only noticed by me.  

I'm putting on socks and tying my shoes with ease.

  I'm painting my toenails.

 I can balance on just my left leg, even in the sand.  

My daily walks are now determined by how much time I have (or if I have company or a podcast long enough to keep me from being bored to tears) instead of being mindful of not overdoing it.  

I'm gaining confidence walking out in the ocean, but this one is taking a little longer to build because the water has been so fricking freezing this summer.  

I'm back to mopping floors and mowing the lawn (again, things most likely only noticed by me).

My strength workouts have very few modifications, and I'm lifting weights I lifted before surgery.  That "grow left ass" I put on my to do list in April?  I'm marking it complete.

April 10th
July 20th












My family members - on more than one occasion - have said things like, "Oh yeah, I forgot you had surgery."

That last one gets me every time.  Because this hip is something I still think about all throughout the day, but if the people around me have forgotten about it, it must mean I'm back to normal.  And damn it's good to be back.

I see the PA again in 10 days, and I don't really have many questions for him this time.  I'm doing almost everything I want to be doing (and a few things I'd rather not be doing, see "mowing the lawn" example above), and I'm pain free doing it.  All day.  Every day.  The one thing I will ask him about is surfing.  It's the one thing I'm itching to do that I'm not sure if I can yet.  Thankfully the cold ocean hasn't been all that enticing.

I'd love to get the ok to paddle out this summer, but I'm enjoying the alternatives just the same.  Like long walks on the beach...


And ice cold beverages...

And handstands...

I could not be more pleased with the outcome of this surgery.  I can wholeheartedly say that the four months leading up to it were far more stressful than the four months since.  The fear of the unknown can reek havoc on your mind and on your spirits, but I have found that controlling what you can and having faith that the rest will be figureoutable is the best way to counter the fear.  With joint replacement and with life.





No comments:

Post a Comment