Friday, November 21, 2014

Every day I'm hustlin

The Fanciest Season of All is in full swing, pushing this little blog way down to the bottom of the list of priorities.  I've missed writing, and I'm hoping at least one, maybe two of you have missed reading, so I give you 10 things before getting back to the Fancy:

1)  The snow piling up in Buffalo's got nothing on the laundry piling up in my house.  Gone are the days of giving all of our swim suits a good rinse and calling it a day.  Now the hampers are full (fine, overflowing) with pants, long sleeve shirts, socks, and more socks.  

2)  Mr. Fancy has half of our Christmas lights up already.  Weather permitting, Santa, Frosty, Chilly Willy, and friends will be welcoming you to our humble albeit blinding abode by the end of the weekend.   

3)  For pretty much the entire month of October, I struggled to wake up early enough to get my whole P90X workouts in.  I usually got in about 45 minutes instead of the full hour before it was time to get Brynn up and out the door for school.  Knowing it wouldn't last forever, I cut the slacker in me some slack and am happy to report I've completed 100% of my workouts for about 95% of the month of November so far.  

4)  Some days, Camryn still gets a little teary when it's time to leave for school.  She tells me it's because she just loves me so much and will miss me while she's at school.  That girl.

5)  I successfully planned, prepped, and executed a birthday party for Brynn in 6 days.  

If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done.
If we're being honest, I think that's the least stressed I've ever been about planning and hosting a party.  I had no choice but to make quick decisions about the theme, decor, and activities, and I only spent a few days thinking about the party before it was over and done with.  Brynn had a blast, I think her friends had fun (even the girl with the bloody nose, but what's a party without a little bloodshed?), and all is right with the world.  

6)  I'm not ready for winter running.  Trying to figure out the perfect combination of layers stresses me out, especially for those long runs on Saturdays.  Remember when I broke out in huge hives after an 8 miler in 15 degree weather?  I think I am literally allergic to the cold because my legs were super itchy after a windy and cold walk on the boardwalk Wednesday night.  In all fairness, I was dressed to run for 30 minutes and we ended up meeting friends and walking for close to 2 hours, but still.  Allergic to cold.  It's a thing.  Time to find some fleece lined running tights.

7)  I've gotten a rather large chunk of my Christmas shopping done already.  I have learned from the past couple of years it's best to get it done before the flood of Fancy orders comes in.  I'm making a conscious effort to shop local small businesses whenever possible, and I hope lots of people do the same.  

8)  I have started to live up to and embrace the stereotype of the stay-at-home mom.  I live in my yoga pants (but I actually do yoga some of those days so there's that), I rarely wear make up anymore, and my hair is either up in a ponytail or under a hat.  Camryn's bus driver even told me I "look a lot different without yer ball cap" on a day I actually put some effort into my appearance.  I'll take that as a compliment, Mr. Gary, but I should probably take it as a wake up call instead.  

9)  I drink hot water every single day now.  My house is kept at a chilly 65 degrees during the winter months, so I need something besides layers of comfy clothes and slipper socks to keep warm while I Fancy on the couch, but I don't want the calories and caffeine of my beloved coffee.  The mug warms my hands and the water warms my belly.  Winning.

10)  Tomorrow is race day!  It's the inaugural Harbor Lights 5k in Norfolk (the half marathon is Sunday, but I wasn't ready to tackle that distance yet), and I'm excited for some new scenery.  I've had more good runs than bad lately, and though I still feel a PR is not within reach just yet, I do hope to improve upon my time from the Race for Breath 5k.  Ryan and the girls are sitting this one out but should be there to cheer me on.  This race is falling right in line with the stress-free racing mentality I've had since my return from injury...I get all the perks of a J&A race (the crowd support, the after party, the swag) without the pre-race jitters that accompany longer distances.  I should be all smiles, except for maybe when I try to push it at the end and inevitably have some ugly runner face pictures to laugh at next week.  

How I think I look when I run how I actually run

So there you have it.  Ten things.  Luckily tomorrow's race is a short one, so the race recap should be a quick one to write.  

No comments:

Post a Comment