Tuesday, July 25, 2017

New York City Marathon - Week 1

Even if it ain't all it seems, I got a pocket full of dreams
Baby, I'm from New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it from New York, New York, New York!


~Alicia Keys' "New York"

I'm running the New York City Marathon in November.  You probably already know that, but I find myself having to say it again and again because I'm still not in a place where I fully believe it's actually happening.  But it IS happening, and training has begun.  Since this has already been the experience of a lifetime before even I ran the first mile of my program, I'm making it my mission to chronicle this journey from week to week.  All aboard...the pain train has left the station!

MONDAY
Outer Banks Running Company 5k in Avon, NC

TUESDAY
Explored Shelly Island off the tip of Cape Hatteras via paddleboard, foot, and handstand

Later that day...

4 easy miles w/2 pick ups along NC-12 in Rodanthe, followed by a dip in the Pamlico Sound

WEDNESDAY
Rest (which to a mother runner such as myself, means packing up camping gear, heading to our next destination, grocery shopping, unpacking food, making up beds, doing laundry, etc. I did spend some restful time in my beach chair though)

THURSDAY
6 easy miles through Duck, finishing on the boardwalk

FRIDAY
12 hot + humid + hilly miles through Duck and Southern Shores, followed by a dip in the frigid Atlantic (that's me down at the water's edge before taking the plunge...thanks for the photo, Kristy!)

SATURDAY
4 miles walking on the beach in Duck + a couple more walking into town for dinner + drinks



SUNDAY
Rest (meaning pack up, drive home, unpack, do laundry)
Last night in Duck

So there you have it, Week 1 in photos.  It was an epic start to an epic experience, and while I'm sure the excitement of it all will wane as we get into the grind that is marathon training, one of my goals is to make the miles meaningful.  Run with new people.  Explore new places.  Change it up, make it fun, keep as much of the Week 1 excitement going for as long as I can.  I am so thankful to be on this journey - to run a marathon in the greatest city on earth for something much bigger than myself - and I vow to make each moment count. 


No comments:

Post a Comment