Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 1 - $#!+ just got real

As I embark on the next 16 weeks of training for my first marathon, I thought I'd regret it if I didn't chronicle the journey, if for no other reason than to look back at it myself.  Maybe others can relate and share their own experience or offer insight, encouragement, or trash talk along the way.  My goal is to write about each training day, no matter how brief...write about the actual run, my mental state that day, what's going on in my life when I'm not wearing my running shoes.  So here goes.

Day 1:  Shit just got real

Today's task:  3x1600 intervals @ 6:52 min/mile pace (10 minute warm up/cool down, 400 meter rest intervals)
Today's weather (6am):  24 degrees (wha-huhhhhh?), light northwest winds
Today's outcome:  6:30, 6:43, 7:01

I wasn't really sure what to expect from today's run.  I hadn't done any speed work since the Wicked 10k three weeks ago, and the past week has truly tested me, mind, body, and soul.  I cringed a little when I saw the start date for this training program was smack dab in the middle of the busiest time of year with Fancy Fonts (along with usual hustle and bustle that afflicts us all this time of year).  But I'm hoping if I keep repeating that line I saw on Pinterest - "Someone busier than you is running right now." - I'll get those runs in no matter what.  

Conveniently, my next scheduled run is a tempo run, which I'll tweak a little to accommodate the 5k I'm running on Thanksgiving.  I think it's been nearly a decade since I've run a 5k (the only one I've ever done, actually!), so I'm really excited to put these little legs to the test.  I get to run a 1-miler with Brynn immediately following the 5k, which I'm really looking forward to.  Her game face is epic.  Should be awesome.

I plan to end each post with a question to you, so here's the first one:

How do you convince yourself to get out from under the covers when it's cold and dark but you have to get that run in?  

As for me, my inner monologue sounds a lot like Cameron from Ferris Bueller when he doesn't want to get out of bed for a joy ride..."Fine.  I'll go.  I'll go.  I'll go."  Or I ask myself, "If not now, then when?"  There's usually no better time than early morning, so it's up and at 'em.


No comments:

Post a Comment