Sunday, August 3, 2014

No money, no problems

Week 11 of my return to running program is in the books...woohoo!!!  When I first found this program on Pinterest, my jaw dropped.  I remember feeling simply deflated when I saw it would take 11 weeks for me to run just 30 minutes.  I was in a dark, dark place back then, filled with longing for some quality, pain-free miles.  Thankfully, I've come out of the dark and have some really great runs under my belt...short runs, but great runs.  

Yesterday was my last 30 minute session before I bump it up to 35 minutes next week.  It felt just like old times...Ryan took the early shift and got his miles in, then we tag teamed it and I headed out for my run when he got back.  I thought for sure I was going to be rained on, and I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed when I wasn't!  I was so looking forward to a run in the rain, but oh well.  For the first time since before the Shamrock, I ran down the path I normally use for speed work.  I passed a number of people out for runs, walks, and bike rides, and it felt so great to be one of them again.  Running down that path brought back memories of every grueling interval, every pre-dawn tempo run, and every Saturday long run completed on that (sometimes icy) asphalt last winter.  It made me realize how much I miss those Saturday long runs, and I feel like they're so close I can taste the pineapple GU.  

Returning home from that run felt just like old times, too.  The heavenly aroma of coffee and Ryan's second breakfast greeted me at the front door, and I immediately saw what my family had been up to while I was gone:


That would be the fort they have become accustom to building while Mommy's out running on Saturday morning.  It's been a while, so I'm sure they were pretty excited to bring all of their sheets and pillows down from their rooms and start moving some furniture around.  Do they ever return said sheets, pillows, and furniture back to their original state???  Not a chance, but that's a blog post for another time.

Since our typical Saturday trip to the beach was washed out by torrential downpours, I convinced Ryan we needed to go to Running Etc. because it was tax free weekend and they had some good stuff on closeout.  Regular clothes or shoes at bargain prices???  Not a chance.  Running shoes at a bargain?  Sure, let's go.  

I don't have enough miles on my Brooks Ghosts to retire them just yet, but my feet are starting to feel a little cranky when I wake up in the morning - as in I've started stretching before my feet even hit the ground.  Obviously my increase in mileage has been slow and steady, so I figured I'd try a different pair of shoes and see if that does the trick.  The next brand on my list to try was the Saucony Ride, and as luck would have it, the store had my size on closeout.  I tried them on, jogged around a little (with Camryn racing beside me), and decided they were mine ($40 cheaper than the newest model, thank you very much!).  And as luck would also have it, my new clearance shoes coordinate fabulously with the capris I recently bought on clearance from Athleta ($25 off regular price, thank you very much!):


I'm hoping Kermit the Frog is all wrong and it actually is easy being green.  Worst case, I now have a great outfit for Shamrock.  Ooooh, and the green can work for the Surf 'n' Santa also!  While all that green isn't exactly my first choice in color, I figure the money I saved is enough to buy another sports bra, Lulu shorts, a couple of tops from TJ Maxx, or even a race entry.  I spend the money where it matters most for me - shoes, bras, and bottoms - and go cheap on stuff like tops, socks, and accessories.  Get bad blisters on your toes?  Spend the money on really good socks.  Get bad chafing under your arms?  Splurge on fancier tops and skimp on bottoms if you don't have any problems there.  Running can get real expensive real fast, but as long as you can remain disciplined about your purchases (translation:  don't buy a ton of crap you don't need!) and search for bargains, it doesn't have to break the bank.  

I thought my return to running program took me through a 40 minute run, but I just checked and next week's 35 minutes is the end of the line.  Assuming all goes well, I think I deserve a little pomp and circumstance as I graduate.  Looking back, I realize this slow, steady climb back to running was the absolute best way to do it.  I learned a lesson in patience and stuck with the program, even on days I really wanted to let the beast out of the cage.  When I told Ryan next week is it, he asked "Then what?", which is exactly what I plan to figure out this week.  I think I'll keep my weekday runs on the shorter side, throwing in some fartleks (he he he) and tempos here and there, and continue building up the long run little by little.  All that money I saved on running gear is burning a hole in my pocket, so I think I'll decide on a September race this week as well.  I can't wait to pin a number on my shirt again, even if I'm not in top form at the moment.  I haven't raced for the fun of it in quite some time, so I think doing so would be the best way to start a comeback.  

No comments:

Post a Comment