Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Gimme steam

I entered this week feeling less than stellar about how last week's runs went.  My intervals were decent, but my tempo run was inconsistent and my "long" run was 8 seconds/mile slower than my target pace.  I keep reminding myself that the first couple of weeks of this program felt incredibly hard the first time I tried it, so this will most likely be no different.  What's important is that my runs have been pain free, allowing me to keep on keepin' on.  My foam roller and I remain quite close, my massage skills have been revived, and I am enjoying the fruits of my laborious Saturday long runs:

Triple fisting it - water for hydration, smoothie for recovery, and iced coffee for sanity

With my focus this summer being on my legs and returning to running, my upper body was shown some serious neglect.  If it wasn't already obvious by looking in the mirror, this morning's chest, shoulders, and triceps workout made it crystal clear.  I have lost strength and definition in my upper body, and today's workout made me feel like a dog owner who came home to find their loyal companion has pooped all over the floor out of spite.  Think you're gonna do 20 push-ups with a side arm balance on the med balls like you used to?  HA!  Try 14.  Ten chaturanga rockers?  Nope.  Six.  With half of those being on your knees.  While I still feel my focus was in the right place for me this summer, I now realize just how much work I need to do this fall to regain some overall strength.  

When I got done with the pain and torture workout, it was raining buckets.  Again.  


We had torrential rains all day yesterday, and since they were calling for more today, I had decided last night to do my intervals at the rec center after Camryn went to school.  I didn't feel I had it in me to do 800s in the dark and a monsoon, so waiting seemed like a good choice.  The rain let up and I decided to get my workout done outside (running in sprinkles is actually quite enjoyable).  And then Camryn got on the bus.  And the sun was out.  And it was steamy.  Literally.  There was steam rising from the roads like hot breath on my legs.  Between that and the sun beating down, I knew I was in for a less than comfortable run.  

Upon leaving the house, my head was full of negativity.  I was tired (Camryn's bad dreams kept us both up last night), hungry, hot, sticky, and had the magic number of 3:26 looming over me like the dark clouds I was begging to return.  I had already decided yesterday I was doing four 800s instead of five, and I really didn't think 3:26 was realistic with my mindset at the time.  Then I ran into Sara from RunLifeRunLove, who was out cursing Mother Nature as well.  I guess misery loves company because after about 1/4 mile with Sara, I was ready to tackle those dreaded 800s.  

Today's task:  5 x 800s @3:26 (with 1 mile w/u and c/d, 400m RI)
Today's weather:  77 degrees, 80% humidity

Today's outcome:  4 x 800s - 3:14, 3:12, 3:21, 3:18

Long story short, they were hard.  It was hot.  I walked my rest intervals.  But I put up numbers reminiscent of my pre-injury self.  I showed a bit of consistency with my pace (that third interval felt harder than the rest for some reason, as proven by the spike in pace).  I really can't ask for much more than that.

Glad I opted for the outdoors today...treadmill runs don't get you dirty, and that's no fun!

If a glass of chocolate milk is great for recovery, then a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie bar must be even better.  Google it.  

Looking ahead, I know Thursday's tempo run will be a challenge for me.  I have a target pace, my my main goal will be consistency.  I'm starting to get excited about racing in a few weeks, and I plan to add a few more races to the calendar if I continue to feel good with the increased work load.  These feet will be Fancy once more!

No comments:

Post a Comment