Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Ride into the danger zone

Do you smell that?  

IT'S RACE WEEK!!!

It's been more than six months since my last race, and I'm ridiculously excited to stand at the starting line as this new version of my running self.  I whole-heartedly agree with the saying that "the person who starts a marathon isn't the same person who finishes it," and I feel like a prime example of that. The marathon training itself taught me I am capable of more than I thought. The IT band injury reminded me that tough as I may feel, I am not bulletproof.  Finishing the race and achieving my B goal of 3:xx showed me I have another gear I didn't know I had, and now I know it's in there, I can't forget to tap into it when I deem necessary. That race, and the subsequent time off that followed, reminded me that running (ironically) makes me feel good, and I am a better version of me when I can run regularly (and pain-free).  Even if my races are few and far between, I can show up and compete with myself week in and week out. And the beauty of it is that


I've learned a lot in the past six months, and I'm ready for the test.  Hell, I even bought myself a sweet new shirt to wear for such a special occasion. You'll have to wait until race day to see it though.  Oh, the suspense!!!

Last week's runs were just what I needed heading into a race.  After surprisingly fast 1600s, I was faced with a tough tempo run on Thursday. My P90X schedule called for the stretch video (it was a recovery week), but I took it as an opportunity to stretch the amount of sleep I got that night instead.  With plenty of Fancy to keep me busy while the girls are at school, I was kicking myself for not getting up and running early instead.  The old version of Karen the Runner ruled with an iron fist and would have punished the new version for wasting such an opportunity.  That dictator is no longer in charge, however, and I made the most of my midday time slot and headed to the oceanfront on a perfectly sunny end-of-summer day. The running gods rewarded me handsomely.

 
The Navy's air show took place this past weekend, so all week long we were treated to watching the Blue Angels practice their stuff around town.  I always seem to pick up my pace a little once I hit the boardwalk, and Thursday was no exception.  I mean, who wouldn't run a little faster when the Blue Angels are speeding along the boardwalk with you???  It was such a cool experience, and just another of the many reasons I love this town.  

Thursday's task:  1 mi w/u, 2 mi @7:41, 1 mi easy, 2 mi @7:41, 1 mi c/d
Thursday's outcome: 9:05, 7:31, 7:24, 7:32 (oops), 7:14, 8:44

Since I have yet to run 7 easy miles, I cut this run back to 6 miles to play it safe.  And finally!  A tempo run that didn't start off with a 7:52!  I think what happened with that way-too-fast recovery mile was that the first three were into the wind, so when I turned around, the effort felt a lot easier.  That had a trickle down effect on my last tempo mile...since I was running "easy" at 7:32, I picked it up a bit and ended up nearly killing myself with a 7:14.  I'm hoping that with each passing week, I'll be able to feel these paces better and better.  I got in a good stretch in a scenic spot while watching those Navy pilots do their thing overhead.

Nowhere does it say "No Stretching!"

I completed the week's runs with an easy 5 miler somewhere in the 8:00-8:10 range.  Ryan ran beside me with Camryn in the stroller (had to save her legs for her soccer game later that day!), and Brynn rode her bike up ahead of us.  I do hate that summer is over, but being able to sleep until 7 and enjoy a family workout session without anyone complaining about the heat is simply priceless.  

This week's schedule called for some grueling intervals, but since I'm racing this weekend, I cut back a bit on the intensity.  And being that yesterday was officially the last day of summer, I didn't want to be anywhere but the beach.  I gave Camryn the option of biking or riding in the stroller for my boardwalk run, and she chose to be a queen in her chariot.  I used my phone to figure out my intervals, but paid no attention to how quickly (or not so quickly) I finished them.  All I know is I ran hard for 400 meters at a time, and the one interval I did into the wind was a killer!

Monday's task:  800, 600, 400, 400, 600, 800 (1 mi w/u and c/d, 400m RI)
Monday's outcome:  4 x 400m (1 mi w/u, 400m RI, 5 minute c/d)

At one point during a sprint, Camryn yelled back to me, "I love it when you run fast, Mommy!"  Me too, sweet girl!!!  We've come a long way from the days of her asking if I was running or walking!  I treated her to some playtime at the park on the beach, and finished our visit with a race down to the water's edge:

Pure joy on this kid's face when she runs.  

My days of post-run toe dipping are numbered...have to get 'em in while I can!

I'm being dragged into fall kicking and screaming, but I know there are some great running days in the weeks ahead.  

Motivational Poster #59 | Runner's World: No one appreciates the arrival of fall like a runner appreciates the arrival of fall.
Too far?





No comments:

Post a Comment