Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day 23: Strength in pain

Today's task: 2 miles easy, 3 miles @7:15 min/mile, 1 mile easy
Today's weather: 48 degrees, sunny (aka ideal)

Today's outcome: 2 miles in 16:00 (8 min/mile), 3 miles in 21:36 (7:12 min/mile), 1 mile in 8:28 min


Every so often, my MilePosts app sends me quotes that are so on point it's spooky.  Today was one of those days (plus it's a quote from Dana Carvey...excellent!).  My body hurts.  In a good way though.  The first week of P90X after a recovery week is always really tough...I'm still feeling Monday's legs and back workout and running intervals, as well as yesterday's chest, shoulders, and triceps workout.  I did plyometrics early this morning for the first time in a couple of months, and I did it at about 80% effort so as just to wake up my legs, not beat them down further.  I think it did just the trick because, combined with today's ideal weather conditions, feeling well-nourished, hydrated, and caffeinated, I had a great tempo run.  It was challenging and fun and just what I needed to carry some confidence over to my next run.  

I'm looking forward to Saturday's long run. I've put in some hard work until this point, but these longs runs are my true litmus test as to how prepared I feel for the Shamrock.  I've got 9 weeks left of 16, and I'm just now getting into the meat of this training plan.  With the exception of just one 14 miler, I was familiar and comfortable with the distances of every long run I've done until now.  With long runs of 16, 18, and 20 miles coming up in the near future, I'm hoping I'll soon be able to imagine myself running 26.2.  I can't fathom it yet, but I'm getting closer each week.

Saturday's 15 miler will be run in honor of a complete stranger.  A fellow runner and young mother in Richmond, Virginia, was out for a run Monday morning and was killed by a drunk driver.  I'll be joining thousands of runners in a tribute to Meg, and I invite you to dedicate your miles to her as well.  This tragedy really makes it hit home that accidents do happen, even when every measure of safety is taken while out for a run.  We cannot assume drivers see us, regardless of how brightly colored or reflective our clothes are when it's dark, or in Meg's case, in broad daylight.  Drunk drivers are among us, even at 8:30 am.  Drivers are more and more distracted these days, and pedestrians in their periphery often go completely unnoticed.  In my experience, plenty of drivers roll right through stop signs, and some even fail to look both ways when making right turns.  Be alert when you run, but even more so when you drive.  Check out Meg's Miles on Facebook and be a part of this tribute.  Meg was with me in spirit on my run today, from the perfect weather to cooperative traffic lights and courteous drivers.  Her friend says she was always smiling, and I felt like she was smiling on my run today.  Thanks, Meg...run in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment