Monday, May 12, 2014

Back to good

I've found it.  I've found that one thing that gives me the same high as running, minus the dagger to the knee.  It's hard work that gets my blood pumping, my legs burning, and my sweat dripping.  And the bonus is I look super cool doing it.

You want it to be socially acceptable to ride around town on Rollerblades. | 29 Signs You're Stuck In The '90s

That's right.  I'm bringing blading back.  The wind in my hair, the salty sweat on my skin...it gives me everything running does, minus the pain in my knee.  It has ignited that fire within, and my plan is to log lots and lots of miles on those eight wheels between now and whenever the heck it is I start running again.  And while rollerblading doesn't provide the same convenience of stepping outside my door and running (the streets in my 'hood aren't nearly smooth enough), it does give me a great excuse to hit the boardwalk several times a week.  I've skated the length of the boardwalk and back a few times now, and the plan is to increase my mileage just as I would with running.  I'll even throw in some intervals for good measure.  The wind provides excellent resistance, which forces me to dig down and work hard.  I.  Love.  It.

I got a few miles in on Mother's Day...I pushed Camryn in the stroller while Ryan and Brynn were on bikes.  We finished up with a pic of sweaty me and my girls:



My favorite part is that the blades make me look taller.  I hit the boardwalk again today, this time on a solo mission with both girls in school and no Jude duty.  Don't tell, but I played hookie from PT and traded the view of four walls covered in posters of the musculoskeletal system for some fresh air and King Neptune's musculoskeletal system:


It's a little blurry because I was just going so fast.

 I wasn't about to half ass my time travel back to the 90s, so I took it all the way back with the 90s grunge station on Pandora.  I'm talking Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, the works.  So much angst coming from one little iPhone.  

I hauled ass going north, only to have a tough journey back south thanks to the wind.  But without the stroller, I was still able to shave about 5 minutes off my previous time, and the runner in me rejoiced.  I can see this escalating quickly.  

I got back to my car and traded my roller blades for flip flops, pumped 50 cents into the meter, and headed back to the ocean to enjoy my iced coffee for a few minutes...a whopping 20 minutes, to be exact, as that is all 50 cents will get you at the oceanfront these days.  Today, it was money well spent.  Every workout that ends with your feet in the Atlantic is a good one in my book.


Just call me Stella, because I feel like I'm getting my groove back.  

Keep Calm and ROLLERBLADE... or don't keep calm and rollerblade. all the same to me. :D





No comments:

Post a Comment