Thursday, May 29, 2014

Keep runnin' runnin' and runnin' runnin'

With yesterday being broken up into snippets of free time here and there, I woke before the sun and was parked at 1st Street by 6am for some early morning roller blading miles.  I love me a good sunrise on the Atlantic:


Since the wind was kind of tough in both directions and my legs were a little sore from my successful increase in mileage (man, that's laughable!) the day before, I knew I wouldn't be doing the entire boardwalk twice as I had done my previous outing.  I felt good after one trip to the end and back and still had some time before I had to get home to get Brynn off to school, so I skated to the pier and back for a total of 7.1 miles in 32:41.  I sure do love the sound of the Map My Run app telling me my average pace is 4:35 min/mile!  

I also love picking off runners and leisurely bikers, something I'm unable to do during my dainty little run/walk sessions.  Focusing on a person ahead of me, reeling them in, and passing them is something I love to do when running at the boardwalk, so being able to do that on the roller blades makes me feel that much closer to being a runner again.  The oceanfront wasn't all that crowded, but it was buzzing with the quiet energy of city workers getting the boardwalk and beach tourist-ready for another hot day...something I don't really see when I run there during the off season.

Not sure if the driver of this front loader knew it, but we were racing.

Today's wake-up call was another tough one (for some reason, I've had many restless nights of sleep in the past few weeks), but I pulled myself out of bed and stumbled up to the room over the garage for my date with Ryan and Tony.  We sweat and squatted, lunged and leaped our way through Triometrics, and I finished out the session with my ITB rehab work.  One would think after all this time, it would be easier, but it certainly is not!  

Once Brynn was off to school, I strapped Camryn in the jogging stroller with her blueberry bagel (should have given her a blanket, too...who turned off the heat???) for another walk/run session of 1:30 each x 10 (which I just now realized should have been 1:30 running, 30 walking x 8...oops).  I had extremely low expectations for this outing.  To save myself from utter disappointment, I would not get my hopes up that today's session would be as great as the last.  I was not being pessimistic, just realistic.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

And I got the best!!!  Another pain free walk/run under my belt had me doing a happy dance in the driveway to "Fancy," still playing on Pandora.  During the running intervals, I caught myself going too fast a few times and had to slow up a bit.  After posting sub-5 minute miles on the roller blades, it felt like an eternity waiting 12+ minutes for my app to update me on my pace, but I know in good time, those numbers will creep back down into the single digits.  

On Saturday, I plan to do what I actually should have been doing all week, which is the 1:30 of running and 30 seconds of walking, and I'm curious to see how less rest time treats me.  I am chomping at the bit to increase the running times, but I will stick with the program and trust the process.  

The distance between your dreams and reality is called discipline. Designed by Slidemaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment