Saturday, April 19, 2014

I feel a whoomp comin' on!

Normally I'm like the rest of the working population, eagerly awaiting Friday's arrival and wishing Monday wouldn't get here so fast.  This week, however, I think I might welcome Monday with open arms.  The girls have been on Spring Break this week, and with the exception of the first weekend, the weather has been less than stellar.  It's basically been 50 degrees and raining all week, and today is no exception.  I've really had to bring my A-game to entertain these kids, whose friends have either been out of town or sick with the stomach bug.  They tagged along to physical therapy with me on Tuesday, and we've been regulars in the rec center pool.  We've watched Frozen twice, along with Despicable Me 2, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, and they're watching The Sandlot as we speak.  Not the week of fun in the sun I had envisioned this time last week.

Spring break was off to such a promising start.  We kicked it off with ice cream with friends right after school on Friday, and continued with sun-filled soccer games, s'mores by the fire at my brother's 30th birthday roast, and a bike ride at a Virginia Beach boardwalk that had every element of a summer day (minus the golden tans on its patrons).  


We did a little yard work at our house and our neighbor's, and it felt as though we were coming out of hibernation:


When the weather took at turn for the worse, we had to get creative:



Brynn had the bright idea of going snorkeling in the bathtub one afternoon, and I was all for it.  She even fashioned the snorkel gear out of her mask and a plastic golf club.  A for effort.

We checked out the only roller rink in town for the first time ever, and a good time was had by all (some of us with the skating, others with the indoor playground because they weren't good at skating the first time they tried...imagine that):



My physical therapy clinic is right across from Trader Joe's, so I popped in to get some snacks for us for the week.  Since I can't be in Mexico for spring break, at least I can eat like I am with these black bean and cheese taquitos, complete with salsa verde:


I've been the best PT patient ever, diligently completing my exercises on the days I don't have therapy.  One of my favorites is this total butt burner, where you press your knee out against a somewhat flat ball while doing a one-legged bridge:


Hold for five seconds and feel the burn!  I've been feeling really good with all of the strengthening I've been doing, and I'm having no pain with regular activities.  I feel like I'm on the cusp of running again, which has me excited and nervous at the same time.  Excited because...well, that goes without explanation!  And nervous because I really, really, really don't want it to hurt and have to take more time off.  Regardless, I figured I'd start fresh...I've been a long time Asics wearer in the past, but I think mentally I needed to switch it up.  Bittersweet, as now I won't match these Fancy little feet anymore:


But I've heard nothing but good things and have read nothing but good reviews about these beautiful babes, so I hit up Running Etc. and got myself a gorgeous pair of the Brooks Ghost 6.


So pretty!  They even have that new shoe smell...ahhhhhhhh!  I keep them right by my bedside table and I get excited about wearing them every time I catch a glimpse.  When that will be is still TBD, but I think I'm close...stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. The Brooks ghost are seriously great shoe. You won't regret them. I like the Glycerins a bit better but I need more support myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to run in them instead of putting them on and simply admiring them. Soon...

      Delete