Sunday, April 6, 2014

Said woman, take it slow

Can I get an Amen?! But I should clearly be in Olympic athlete shape at this point! ;)

I was out and about (or if your native tongue is Canadian, "oot and aboot") running errands on Friday, making the whiny noise I make when I see people running, which sounds a lot like "mehhhhh" and is accompanied by a really ugly face.  I had a few choice words for Mother Nature for making me train through the most ridiculous winter on record for Virginia Beach, only to taunt me with 60+ degrees and sunny this week.  Guns n' Roses' "Patience" came on the radio.  Twice.  Which can only mean either Axl Rose died, or the radio gods are sending me a message.  Pretty sure Axl is alive and well (?), so message received.  Things'll be just fine.

I started physical therapy on Friday, which is thankfully giving me something to focus on and look forward to now that my weekly miles are no longer on the calendar.  During my evaluation, my therapist told me that my glute strength wasn't terrible.  I'll take that as a small victory, as I have not (literally) worked my ass off to not have strong glutes.  There's definitely a discrepancy between the left and right sides, so hopefully once we get that sorted out, it'll be all systems go.  Upon palpation, it seems as though I have a bit more of a bony prominence on the left side where the IT band crosses the knee, which could explain why it became so irritated in the first place.  Not much I can do about that, so we'll just have to cross our fingers that knocking out the inflammation and strengthening the involved musculature will get me back in my running shoes before too long.  

In the meantime, I'll be doing whatever exercise I can do pain free.  I'm still not 100% in love with P90X3.  I am enjoying doing some new exercises, but I don't have the feeling of accomplishment after 30 minutes that I did after the 60 minutes of the other P90X programs.  Making some decisions this week on how to proceed.  

The knee has been feeling less cranky with regular daily activities, so I was hoping that the elliptical and biking would be a possibility this week.  However, yesterday was a bit of a blow to moral, as I started feeling discomfort only a mile into a ride on the beach cruiser.  Considering there is barely any resistance on that bike (I had Camryn in tow, but that kid pulls what little weight she has with some hard core pedaling!), I'm not all that optimistic about getting in a good workout on a stationary bike either.  Swimming is an option, but I just.  Don't.  Want to.  I suck at it.  It's inconvenient.  It's time consuming.  I suck at it.  

Another thing that isn't helping the psyche is the number of runners I follow on social media.  Seeing pictures of people's Garmins and hearing about how they kicked ass in their latest race or workout is torturous.  I should just unplug and end the heartache, but I've been routing for these people to succeed and I enjoy hearing their success stories, so I just can't bring myself to do it.  To try to turn my envy into inspiration, I tell myself that most of them have been where I am right now, and they've managed to come back and kill it.  I will do the same, all I need is just a little patience.  

Axl Rose - King of the Bandanna

No comments:

Post a Comment