Monday, April 7, 2014

Your love is like a roller coaster, baby baby

I dropped Camryn off at preschool today with great haste, so as not to be late for my physical therapy appointment.  I managed a quick jog through the rain from the building to my car, and was pleasantly surprised that I felt absolutely nothing at my knee.  I'd be lying if I told you this thought did not cross my mind:

If I can run to the car, surely I can log a few easy miles, right???  

I checked my phone once I got in the car (compulsive habit), and saw that my Mile Post quote of the day had arrived:

kara goucher quotes.  advice.  wisdom.  life lessons.  healthy changes.

I know, I know... 

Simmer down now!!!!

Saturday and Sunday's discomfort with easy activity had me feeling down, but today felt like a small step in the right direction.  I worked with Carl today, which was great for several reasons:

1)  His name is Carl.  So the Englishman in the office calls him Cahhhhl.  So I think of Karl.

Karl Pilkington = love

And I smile.

2)  He used Office Space references to explain to the tech what she needed to do with another patient.  I'm 99% sure she had no idea what a TPS report is.

3)  He will not coddle me.  Which is great, because I'm ready to work.  Three weeks of rest has me going batty, and I need to feel like I'm doing something that will create progress.  

I did various calisthenics to strengthen me arse, and I can only hope I'll be sore tomorrow.  We finished up with some ice and an iontophoresis patch, which is a fancy way to deliver an anti-inflammatory medication directly to the injured area using electric current.  Sounds way more bad ass than it is.



Since I had some time and was so close, I decided to hop over to Whole Foods to see what all the fuss is about.  You heard that right...still hadn't been there, so a kidless morning seemed like the right time to check it out.  I wandered around aimlessly for a while, just checking out all the neat stuff they had in the bulk section.  I made my way over to the granola aisle and found my new favorite snack:


Behold Raspberry Beret trail mix.  Peanuts, almonds, cashews, dark chocolate chips, and dried raspberries.  Sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy, and a punny name thrown in for good measure make this the perfect treat for me.  I also picked up a reasonably priced jar of tahini for all of the hummus and the sweet potato burgers I plan to make this spring.  I was tempted to try one of their cannolis (filled right there on the spot), but the patch on my leg reminded me I will not be burning off cannoli calories any time soon, and I stepped away from the bakery.  Whole Foods has aisles of interesting items that would be fun to sample, but my shallow pockets will have to keep shopping at Walmart if I plan to keep this family both fed AND clothed.  

Since the knee hasn't bothered me at all today, I decided to give the bike at the rec center a try while Camryn was in swim lessons.  20 pain-free minutes of rolling hills later, I dismounted victoriously onto wobbly legs.  Great success!!!  I had to get out of there with enough time to stretch and have Camryn see me watch her for the last few minutes of class, but also because if I watched any more of the Sports Center coverage of Derek Jeter's last opening day at Yankee Stadium, I was going to start crying right there in front of all those Silver Sneakers on the treadmills.  

Derek Jeter

Oh Captain, my Captain.  

Anyway, the takeaway from today's events was that each day is apparently different when it comes to this knee.  It's been a physical and emotional roller coaster ride.  I will do what I can with what each day gives me, and today gave me two rounds of P90X3 Total Synergistics, PT, and some action on the stationary bike.  I am thrilled.  If tomorrow is even half as good as today, I'll be happier than this guy:

  Comic by Natalie Dee: pig in shit


No comments:

Post a Comment