Sunday, March 24, 2024

Counting Sheep but Running Out

We're on Day 4 post-op and I'm settling into this monotonous new routine pretty well.  Once I'm awake, I consolidate my efforts on my feet by washing my face and brushing my teeth when I make the first trip to the bathroom.  Then I head back into bed for a little bit and Ryan brings me my coffee, meds, and miralax.  I've been off the harder stuff since Friday, only taking extra strength Tylenol for pain and baby aspirin to prevent blood clots. Unfortunately, my gut hasn't caught up yet, hence the miralax.  I'll usually read a few chapters while Ryan gets in a workout...gotta keep him moving too!

Eventually I get dressed and make my way downstairs.  I've been able to manage getting dressed myself with the exception of putting on my left sock.  Once I'm downstairs, I do a few laps, hit the bathroom again, and park it on the couch or armchair for a nice little ice session.  I am not exaggerating when I say my ice pack is everything.  I've had it for several months and was using it before surgery, but my love for it has grown exponentially after surgery.

Ryan will bring me some breakfast...usually some cottage cheese with everything but the bagel seasoning and some mixed berries.  After the first day, I had to educate him on what a normal person's portion looks like.  We'll chat, I'll read or scroll through my phone, checking my brackets (all but busted), playing various New York Times games, or getting a good laugh about the reels Brynn sends me.  I've been lucky enough to have visitors each day, which has definitely helped keep my spirits up.

Lunch and dinner eventually follow, sandwiched between laps around the first floor of the house.  I've been eating small, healthy meals to keep my gut happy, but also because I'm getting in about 450 steps a day and summer is coming.  


I'd say my primary issue right now is sleeping at night.  Pain isn't the problem, it's position.  I'm a stomach sleeper, and having to sleep on my back right now is not going well.  The PT suggested putting a pillow under my right leg to help take some pressure off my back, and I've rolled up a towel and shoved it under the fitted sheet to keep my left leg from rolling out.  It helped a lot the first night I tried it - I went from waking up every hour to every three hours - but last night was a tough one.  I was up every other hour and just wanted to roll the hell over and get some sleep.  

As far as the actual hip goes, it's feeling great.  I've got some swelling and stiffness in the left quad and a little achiness in my left glute, but I'm not in any great pain.  The first few steps any time I get up are a little slow going, but I can cruise once I get moving.  I don't feel ready to ditch the walker for the cane just yet, but each day gets a little better.   I find myself leaning on the walker less and less for much of the day.

I do find myself hitting a wall every night, usually around 7pm.  I'm stiff and sore, and the connection between my brain and my left leg is diminished.  I'm tired, cranky, and out of patience, and the best thing for everyone is just to get me to bed.  Essentially, I'm an infant.  

The progress I notice each day is exciting, and I'm hopeful that my trajectory is more of a straight shot up than a squiggly line full of peaks, valleys, and turns.  Patience is key, and while it's not my strong suit, I'm hanging in there pretty good.




No comments:

Post a Comment