Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Do You Get Deja Vu?

14 days out.  Feeling lots of feels, with anxiety emerging from the deep, dark place I've shoved it down into since I scheduled surgery back in the fall.   The fear of the unknown is occupying a lot of real estate in my mind right now, yet what's funny is that it kinda feels strangely familiar.  I keep finding ways this process reminds me of training for a marathon.  And when I was training for marathons, that process kept reminding me of pregnancy and childbirth.  There's an important date circled on my calendar.  It's all I've been thinking about for months.  I know something big is going to happen on that day, but I don't know how it will all go down or what I'll feel like after that big thing happens.  I've been preparing my brain and my body and my family for the challenges we'll face after that day.  I'm terrified of getting sick right now and having all that hard work not even matter.  See, just like training for a marathon or preparing for childbirth.  I've done both of those things multiple times, on every occasion coming out on the other side feeling exhausted and in pain but in awe of what my body was capable of.  I am hopeful this experience will be no different in that sense.


I had my first pre-op visit last week, where I went to Sentara Leigh's PASS clinic to have my bloodwork and EKG done.  Being in the hospital where I'll have the surgery made things sink in a little more, and seeing dozens of people roaming around with walkers was a gut punch.  I'll be one of those people soon.  Yikes.  As much as I try to quiet my mind about this whole thing, my elevated blood pressure didn't lie.  As far as I know, the bloodwork and EKG looked good and we're all systems go.

Today was my last pre-op visit, this time with the surgeon's PA, although hype man might be a more accurate description of this guy.  He was pleasant, upbeat, and reassuring that I'll be back to doing everything I used to do...eventually.  He answered all my questions - and I had a bunch - such as:

- In addition to stopping supplements, do I have to stop taking my fiber powder a week before surgery too (the fear of constipation is real, y'all)?  No, just don't take it the morning of surgery.

- How big is the incision?  About 4 inches long

- Will there be stitches or staples that need to be removed?  Neither...the incision will be glued and taped.

- Do you recommend a walker or crutches?  Walker (less of a trip hazard).

- When can I shower?  3 days after surgery.

- When can I drive?  Definitely not while still using narcotics for pain, try to hold off until after the first post-op visit (4 weeks).

- When can I sleep on my stomach (fun fact: I snore like a chainsaw when I sleep on my back)?  Possibly after a week or so, as long as leg doesn't cross midline.

- When can I ride a stationary bike?  PT will decide.

- When can I ride a bike outdoors?  PT will also decide.

- When can I swim?  Depends on how incision heals, not before first post-op visit.

- When can I donate blood?  Give it at least 3 months.

- Will I be able to surf again?  Definitely.  Eventually.

- Will I be able to snowboard again?  Eventually.  Even if I fall a lot?  Yes.

Then things got real nerdy:

- Is there an increased chance of revision because of the hip dysplasia?  No.

- What's up with Kelly Slater?  At his age, why did he have his labrum replaced with a cadaver's and his femur cleaned up instead of going full send on hip replacement?  I haven't read about that but now I'll have to.

You can read about it here.

Having those two appointments under my belt have settled my nerves somewhat, and now we wait.  And continue to stock the freezer.  And take a good, hard look at my calendar if I'm not driving until the end of April.  And keep riding that bike to spin the crazies away.



No comments:

Post a Comment