Sunday, March 2, 2014

Day 45: Sometimes love don't feel like it should

Today's task:  Love on that ITB

I am one lucky girl.  I had not one, but TWO runners/athletic trainers on the phone last night, talking me down from the proverbial ledge about the little hiccup to my training that is my temporarily defunct IT band.  They suggested the course of treatment, which I imagine will start off sounding something like this:   

"Oh hey, PTs I used to work with!  How about I trade you these donuts and coffee for some ultrasound and soft tissue work?"

They reminded me that I'm in the taper phase of training, and all of the grunt work is behind me.  I've built myself up by breaking myself down, and I've proven I can get through 20 miles.  This is a time of rest and recovery, and I need to do just that.  I need not concern myself with the speed work on my training plan for the next two weeks.  Whatever pain-free miles I can get in will just have to suffice, and 

:)

It was a gorgeous day outside today - the warm before the storm, as we've come to know it here in Virginia Beach this winter - and we spent most of it outside.  My midday stretch/foam roll/ice session was done in the sunshine, out on the deck with an adorable little yogi beside me:

  
I was listening to 80s Cardio Radio on Pandora while working on some Fancy before I started stretching, and each song was better than the last (Jenny 867-5309, Jesse's Girl, Take on Me, you get the idea).  The radio gods must have a wicked sense of humor, because "Hurt So Good" came on when I was beating myself up with the foam roller.  After another round of ice cups (not to be confused with flip cups, which I would have preferred on such a gorgeous day), this thing somehow found itself in my hand:


Since I only did half the mileage yesterday, I only get half the cannoli.  But like I always say, half a cannoli is better than no cannoli at all.

I finished up the night with another self treatment, along with a little bit of torture, aka watching the Weather Channel and learning more about the winter weather headed our way.  

I'm not amused, Mother Nature.

I'm so grateful for the advice and encouragement I received from Jocelyn and Megan last night, especially since they took time away from dipping things in cheese and chocolate to discuss my issues with me.  I am fighting to remain optimistic that I'll be in better shape two weeks from today (YIKES!!!), and that I won't need the racehorse treatment from Camryn:


No comments:

Post a Comment