Saturday, March 29, 2014

Like the deserts miss the rain

"I know I feel more like myself when I run, even if it's only a few miles, or at least I feel like the self I like best."  ~Bart Yasso
I'm missing my Saturday long runs.  A lot.  Even the rainy ones.  There's something about finishing a 10+ mile run before most people are done with their pancakes and bacon that makes me feel like I can do anything.  And eat anything.  Like pancakes and bacon.  

Run to eat

I still got up early this morning to get my sweat on.  I did the P90X3 Warrior workout, which was really fun.  So fun I did it again this afternoon, hoping to offset a few of the beers I intend to consume this evening.  

Running, pain now, beer later

Thankfully, I have really enjoyed this past week of P90X3.  I think it may take a little time to tweak the program to suit my needs and abilities, but there was only one workout this week that seemed pretty much impossible to modify to accommodate my gimp status.  It feels great to try something new, and I look forward to seeing the improvements that will eventually come with sticking with the program.  

I'm also looking forward to seeing the orthopedist on Monday.  Is that weird?  I guess I'm just eager to get the ball rolling on getting better.  I've had less pain the past couple of days, but that's not enough to convince me I'm well on my way.  I still have some swelling where the IT band crosses the knee, and that needs to scram:
                                            
Nice, normal right knee
 

Gimpy, defective left knee.  

It's not a tumuh!

Maybe I'm hoping for a timeline too...with rest and hard work on the rehab front, I should be running in x number of weeks.  Having an end date to my runner envy might make this a little more manageable.  Not sure if I'll get one, but a girl can dream, right?  I'm ready to resume beast mode and...

turn a setback into a comeback

...even if it takes all damn spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment