Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 51: Dick Clark's Shamrockin' Eve

So here we are, a little more than 12 hours before my first marathon.  Somehow, it feels as though my nerves are subsiding a bit, and I'm wondering how I'll be feeling tomorrow morning when I wake up.  It's been a fun-filled Shamrock weekend so far, and here's the play-by-play:

FRIDAY

The Fancying of the race shirts, as is tradition:

Managed to hit the expo by myself since I wanted to stick around and hear Bart Yasso speak.  Forgot to get pics of all the fun props they have around the Convention Center, but they don't look as fun without my little leprechauns in them anyway.  I went around and got race bibs and t-shirts for the whole family, then was amused, entertained, inspired, and motivated by Mr. Yasso.  He spoke of a woman who planned her chemotherapy around her race schedule, which really put this whole IT band nonsense into perspective for me.  After he spoke of the power of running and the running community, he stuck around for a book signing and photo ops, which I took full advantage of:


During his Q&A session, I asked him what his one piece of advice would be for a first time marathoner.  He basically said to enjoy it.  Don't put the pressure of finishing in a certain time on yourself because that will take away from the joy of this experience.  His advice is an echo of the advice I've been given by so many seasoned marathoners, so I'm thinking it's something I really need to do!  And I'll have you know that Bart Yasso is jealous of me.  Yes, this man who has run over 1200 races on all seven continents, is jealous of me.  Why?  Because I'm guaranteed a PR tomorrow!!!  

On the way home from the expo, I passed one of the water/potty stations for tomorrow's race and thought maybe I should pull over and puke there:


After a good dinner and putting the girls to bed, I kept the distraction going with a little rainbow looming (the girls had good luck bracelets, so I needed one too!) and college hoops:


Apparently, Syracuse went 25-0 to start the season because I didn't watch any of their games.  I promise I won't watch them for the rest of the season.  

SATURDAY
Today we were up and at 'em to get to the oceanfront to cheer for some people we knew running the 8k.  This included some get pumped music in the car:


We saw the Mayor of Virginia Beach, some friends from preschool and elementary school, and our neighbor Michelle, who Sham-ROCKED her first 8k!


The pre-race festivities included some live music, which my girls can't get enough of:


A photo op with Leprechaun Bob:


A Silly Shamrock contest, where some of the staff at Brynn's school took home first prize with their green minion costumes:


And of course, showing off their Fancy for a few pics:



I ran with Camryn during her Leprechaun Dash, and I loved every second of it.  The kid is a natural with her long stride and arm action.  I can't wait to see the pics from the race photographers, because I'm sure she was grinning from ear to ear.  



Ryan ran the final mile with Brynn, and led her to a PR that was 40 seconds faster than her time from last year.  That's my girl!



My parents were kind enough to take the girls back to their house from the race today, leaving Ryan and me with an entire afternoon to carb load, hydrate, and rest.  It was gorgeous outside, so we spent every bit of the afternoon out back on the deck.


Strawberries with Nutella and Greek yogurt dip...fuel of champions!

We spent a lot of time on our feet this morning for the girls' races, so I made sure I got off my feet for a while this afternoon:


This evening was spent eating more carbs:


And getting my race gear and dry bag items together:




I still haven't decided if I'll be wearing shorts or pants...Mother Nature is going to keep me guessing until the very last minute tomorrow!  It's supposed to be in the 40s, but pretty windy and feeling more like it's in the 30s.  I'd rather wear my shorts because they passed the 20 mile test with flying colors, and also because my pants have no pockets for my GU.  It'll be a game time decision, I suppose.  

The rest of tonight will include a long, hot shower and early to bed.  Probably a few compulsive checks of the alarm clock first though.  I can't believe this is really happening tomorrow, but I'm going to heed the advice of those who have been there, done that.  I'm going to take it all in and enjoy the celebration of life that is a marathon.  I will smile for the cameras, even if it hurts.  I will be grateful I am healthy and that I live in a time and place where I can do insane things like this for fun.  Boy, am I

  



1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you this morning!! Your cheering team is so adorable! Have a wonderful time and enjoy your marathon PR! Can't wait to hear the recap!! :)

    ReplyDelete