Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Only know you've been high when you're feeling low

running motivation 7 #injured #runner more motivational quotes on beingfitisfun.com

Seriously.  Don't do it.  With the exception of that little marathon on the 16th, I haven't run in three weeks, and let me tell ya...if provoked, I will cut you.  

In all seriousness, this hiatus has been tougher on me than I thought it would be.  I thought I'd really enjoy a little time off of pounding the pavement, all the while shifting my focus to rehabbing this knee and hip.  But even with today's temps and winds both in the 30s, I had some serious runner envy when Ryan got some miles in after work today.  And the calendar says it's spring, which means there should be some ideal running conditions approaching...at this point, I'm just hoping to lace up before the heat and humidity of summer set in.  

Mentally, it's been interesting going from the excitement, anticipation and countless other emotions of preparing for the race to...to what???  I feel almost void of emotion now, aside from the crankiness I'm experiencing as my endorphin levels plummet due to lack of exercise. It feels as though I've been stripped of my hard earned title of "runner," and it's really bringing me down.   

So what have I been doing since Shamrock, you ask?  Stretching.  Foam rolling.  Pouting.  Lots of pouting.  I started P90X3 this week, which was something I was really looking forward to taking on after the marathon.  Tony Horton has been a major influence on my life for the past 7 1/2 years with P90X and P90X2, and I couldn't wait to bring it again now that - ironically enough - I wasn't afraid of getting injured by trying something new.  The first day was a great workout...just too short.  My buddy Tony condensed his kick ass workouts into 30 minutes to appeal to people who have a hard time fitting a whole hour of exercise into their day.  Personally, I like my daily hour of sweat, and will most likely do some of those videos twice, back to back.  This knee made it painfully obvious that I'm not ready for the agility stuff yet, but I'm trying to remain hopeful that I won't be sidelined too long.  

I have an appointment with an orthopedist next week, and I'm excited to get this healing process started.  The amount of pain I still have right now is really throwing me off...I thought for sure the time off of running and TLC over the past ten days would have calmed this sucker down, but I guess it has other plans.  My main concern right now is the potential for weight gain with my drastically reduced activity levels.  My appetite hasn't gotten the message yet, so each day has been a concerted effort to make good choices.  The weather doesn't feel like it, but the calendar says Memorial Day is just two months away...this body will be bikini ready!

Now, I am well aware that there are people in the world - and in my life even - who have actual problems.  Like real, grown-up problems.  I am incredibly fortunate that a nagging injury is the biggest source of stress in my life right now.  I am digging deep to channel that tough girl who ran that marathon just ten days ago so she can tell me to suck it up.  This knee will not hurt forever.  I will run again soon.  Every little thing is gonna be alright.  

No comments:

Post a Comment