Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 10: Bipolar workout

Yesterday's task:  10-15 min warm up/cool down, 5 x 1000m @ 4:10 min/mile, 400m rest intervals
Yesterday's weather:  40ish degrees, breezy

Today's outcome:  10+ minute warm up, 5 x 1000m (3:56, 3:57, 3:58, 3:54, 3:59), 400m rest intervals, 10ish minute cool down

Yeah, so I was supposed to do this workout yesterday, but it never happened.  I typically do everything in my power not to postpone a key run to the following day so my legs get a full day's rest before the next workout, but better late than never, right?  My week will be thrown off a little, but I'm glad I got the workout in.

Let's start with the bad and the ugly so we can end on a good note:

1) Calculating distances on Map My Run was a total pain in the ass for this workout.  I think it's because 1000 meters doesn't translate into a nice round number when converted to miles.  
2) My pants were falling down.
3) My sports bra was cutting a nice gash into my back.
4) I had to pee.
5) Snot rockets.
6) My route smelled like dog shit.

Yes, I'd love some cheese with my whine.

Now for the good:

1) Gorgeous day.  Nearly 60 degrees and sunny, which felt incredible after being stuck inside for a rainy weekend with a sick kid.  I can feel the vitamin D being generated as I type.
2) Despite the offensive odor today, Nimmo Parkway is a fantastic place for these track repeat workouts.  It's straight and smooth, and you can go for a solid 3/4 mile without crossing any intersections.  Great for when you need to haul ass.
3) I can always count on Grandma...she was supposed to watch Camryn for me today for other reasons, and even though I no longer had those obligations, she came over anyway so I could get my run in.  I am typically lacking in motivation by the time Ryan gets home from work, and there's no way I'd hit my paces pushing Camryn in a stroller.  I know my mom thinks all this running is complete lunacy, but she supports me anyway.
4) Holy fast paces, Batman!  I was dreading this workout.  800s are tough, so I expected 1000s to be tougher.  And they were, don't get me wrong, but I was pleasantly surprised to see my times were consistently well ahead of my target pace (and just plain consistent, which is something I've struggled with).  My other key runs have been consistently faster than planned as well, and as much as it terrifies me to do it, I may have to make adjustments to my program to make sure I'm getting the most out of it.  Like I tell myself toward the end of a race, just keep pushing...you'll never regret finishing faster!  

No comments:

Post a Comment