Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 8: The long and icy road

Today's task:  1 mile easy, 5 miles @7:55 min/mile (long tempo), 1 mile easy
Today's weather:  25 degrees, icy roads

Today's outcome:  1 mile @8:15 min/mile, 5.o6 miles @7:55 min/mile, .25 mile cool down

I am tired.  My head has not been in the game with this marathon training the past few weeks, but luckily, my heart has been.  I don't have a typical 7 mile route mapped out, and with my brain quite scattered these days, I forgot to plot one out last night.  I knew my route was going to end up being less than the total 7 miles I was supposed to get in, but I did what I could and sacrificed a little bit of the cool down.  The mathematical preparation for these intervals and tempo runs has been a challenge thus far, and I'm banking on that improving once the insanity of the holiday season is through.  So for now, I'm doing my best and forgetting the rest, a la Tony Horton.  I may be slacking in the prep work, but I'm all in when I'm out there running.   

Despite today's cold temps and slalom course around patches of black ice, I felt good.  I'm pleased to see that I hit my target pace for the tempo part of the run without having to look at my watch.  Thanks to all of this training, I'm starting to be able to feel my pace a lot better, which will come in handy if I ever forget my watch or the battery decides to crap out en route to a race.  I must have layered up just right, because I was totally comfortable temperature-wise.  I didn't get a chance to stretch afterward, which I'm sure I'll live to regret tonight and tomorrow, but I get two whole rest days before pounding the pavement, which I think my body needs right now.  A hot shower and hot cup of salted caramel mocha coffee more than made up for not stretching in the feel good department!  Until next run...


No comments:

Post a Comment