Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Day 5: Aim to Please

Today's task:  1 mile easy, 5 miles @ 8:14 min/mi (marathon pace), 1 mile easy
Today's weather:  50 degrees and raining

Today's outcome:  5.09 miles in 42:07 (8:16 min/mi pace)

I don't know what I've done to please the running gods, but they were shining down on me today.  I was shocked and thrilled that today's tempo was slow, as I'm running the Surf n Santa 10 miler on Saturday and didn't want to have to put in an all out effort like I did Monday.  It was raining pretty hard when I left the house this morning, but it was warm and there was no real wind to speak of, so no complaints here.   I took the creative liberty to drop the 2 miles on either end of the tempo miles for a few reasons.  First, the tempo pace was easy enough that tacking on 2 miles at an even slower pace seemed pointless with a long race later this week.  Second, I haven't been too good to myself this week...not eating enough, not drinking enough, not sleeping enough...and didn't want to push it and pay the price on Saturday.  Third, while Saturday's race distance is conveniently the same as what my training plan calls for, the effort will be much greater for the race, so backing off a little on this run made sense to me.  

As an added bonus to the gift of a slower pace today, I checked out the results page from last week's turkey trot.  Turns out I had the exact same time as the 3rd place overall female, which was 7 seconds behind #2 and 21 seconds behind #1.  I'll take it!!!  The running gods must have known I'd use the little Christmas tree more than the pimp cup that was awarded to the 3rd place finisher, and for that, I thank them.  Hopefully I can please them again on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment