Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 9: Slow down, you move too fast

Today's task:  10 miles @8:55 min/mile (marathon pace + 45 sec)
Today's weather:  38 degrees, cloudy, breezy

Today's result:  10.02 miles in 1:25:05 (8:29 min/mile)

I tried to slow it down.  I really did.  But it was cold and the rain was coming and I had things to do today and running a minute slower than my normal pace was a serious mental challenge.  I think that's partly the point of these long slow runs...train the brain to be in it for the long haul.  So while this pace was kind of annoying for a distance I'm very comfortable with, I'm sure I'll appreciate it once we start getting up in the 14-20 mile range.  

A few highlights from today's miles:

~ Some people still had their inflatable Christmas decorations up and running this morning, so I was greeted by Frosty, Santa popping up out of a chimney, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.   Inflatable Jesus???  Come on, people.  Have some respect for your savior.

~ Got a late start to my run today, so I saw a completely different crowd out on the roads this morning.  Lots of ladies out power walking with their girlfriends, lots of people out walking their dogs.  I was serenaded by barking for about a quarter mile on Elson Green.

~ Thanks to covering up my cold hands with my shirt sleeves, my Garmin crapped out:
Fortunately, I've run this route enough to know where my mile markers are.

~  This is how I recover from a run when the husband isn't here to judge and the kids aren't here to beg:
 
All I need now is a hot shower and some hot coffee and I'll be ready to tackle the rest of these holiday orders in a quiet house.  Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment