Saturday, December 21, 2013

Day 12: Just a little something to break the monotony

Today's task:  11 miles @8:45 min/mile
Today's weather:  55 degrees, 10-15 mph SW winds

Today's outcome:  11.02 miles in 1:33:00 (8:26 min/mile)

What a day.  It was much too nice outside to do my usual long run route.  I needed to change things up and we didn't have anything planned for today, so I treated myself to a more scenic route.  So glad I did.  I drove to Red Wing Park and started from there, going north to 28th Street and back.  I'm usually not a big fan of out and back runs, but it's not so bad when the oceanfront is involved.  The first two miles seemed dreadfully long, but once I settled in, I forgot to look at my watch for most of the run.  This run had a little bit of everything...pavement, "trail" (aka grass alongside the bike path), "hills" (Rudee Inlet bridge x2), boardwalk, wind, and sun.  I saw some familiar faces along the way...BeachyRunner Lesleyanne and one of her running buddies, my neighbor out playing with his kids at the oceanfront, and even Santa Claus himself, driving down General Booth in a white Jeep Cherokee.  Santaaaaaaaa!!!  I know him!!!

One of the many things I love about running is that I don't have to go anywhere to do it.  I can walk out my front door and get a great workout...how convenient!  But every time I change it up and drive somewhere for my run, I tell myself I need to do it more often.  I've been to Red Wing Park countless times to play with my kids, but since I was running instead of driving today, I saw a couple of cool things I had never noticed from the driver's seat:



Andie!!!  You Goonie!!!

I have promised myself that now that the craziness of holiday Fancy is over, I will treat myself to more of these scenic runs.  And one place I vow to hit up more often is First Landing State Park.  We took the girls on a bike ride there this afternoon...you just have to when it's 72 degrees and sunny on the first day of winter!!!  It takes at least 20 minutes to get there, which is why I have yet to go there for a run, but I'm thinking I'll just have to suck it up and do it every so often because it is just that beautiful.  





Speaking of Goonies...

Hard to believe I've got 4 weeks of this training program under my belt already.  I plan to tweak my paces a little bit this week to reflect being a little faster than I was when I started the 10k plan a few months ago.  Should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment