Friday, February 7, 2014

Day 33: The best laid plans

Today's task: 18 miles @8:55 min/mile
Today's weather: 42 degrees and sunny

Today's outcome:  TBD

I had a great plan. To give me as much time and energy to Fancy up my brother for the Polar Plunge on Saturday, I'd do my long run on Friday while Camryn was at school. My predicted finish time for 18 miles would have cut it too close to pick Camryn up on time, so I arranged for her to go home with my friend. The mileage was intimidating, but I was looking forward to the challenge and my first ever 30 mile week.

And then...the Yuck hit my family, one by one. So far, Miss Brynn has evaded the fever, chills, body aches, and sore throat...perhaps she's got Turtle Power. Poor Camryn has had it since early Wednesday morning, and the Yuck came knocking on my door yesterday afternoon. I couldn't even muster up the energy to walk Brynn to the bus stop this morning (thanks, Michelle!), so needless to say, I won't be completing that run today or even tomorrow. I'm really disappointed, but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude about it. The timing could be worse...we still have five weeks until race day, so I should have more than enough time to recover and get back on track. I don't know if I'll be able to make up those miles, but I can't imagine that missing one run will derail all the work I've put in thus far. And while the Virginia is for Lovers 14k next weekend isn't top priority, I still hope to perform well, so this Yuck needs to take a hike!

More than likely, I'll have to skip out on the Polar Plunge as well...don't think submerging myself in 39 degree water when it's supposed to be 40 degrees and raining tomorrow is the best idea right now. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

So instead of pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental capabilities this weekend, it appears as though I'll be doing a whole lot of lying around in my PJs. At least I have good company.



No comments:

Post a Comment