Monday, February 17, 2014

Day 38: Push it to the limit, gimme more

Today's task:  10 minute warm up, 10 x 400m in 1:32 (400m rest intervals), 10 minute cool down
Today's weather:  31 degrees, sunny, north winds @14 mph

Today's outcome:  1.42 mile warm up (11:45), 1:26, 1:26, 1:24, 1:23, 1:25, 1:25, 1:24, 1:25, 1:26, 1:25, 1.42 mile cool down (12:02)

And just like that, I'm 

back-in-the-game-illustration

When I looked at the training schedule for this week, I got really nervous.  There was no easing my way back into this thing, and I was worried that I'd start off the week with a struggle, which would totally mess with my mind.  It was cold and windy today, and for a brief second, I thought about completing my intervals on the treadmill.  After giving my legs and back workout about 80% effort this morning and still feeling queasy, I thought it better to hit Nimmo trail for the run instead...at least if I had to puke, I could do so in the bushes and not right there on the rec center floor.  

My first interval was a pleasant surprise.  I finished under pace without losing a lung or bladder control.  How do you like them apples?  In an act of self-preservation, I walked each of the 400m rest intervals.  Back and forth, back and forth, finishing each sprint in front of a construction site.  Doing this 10 times was dreadfully boring, but I think it's what got me through the workout with consistent times.  During one of my rest intervals back up Nimmo, I got a toot toot and a fist pump from the driver of a cement mixer.  It felt great to have someone acknowledge my all out effort!  

On another recovery walk, I saw the brightest bluebird I've ever seen, which reminded me of my mother-in-law, who is the definition of perseverance and can teach the rest of us a little something about fighting with all you've got.  It was game on from there.  Now, those intervals may have been ugly - my legs felt heavy and my feet felt flat - but they're done.  A solid, tough workout was just what my head needed at this stage in the game, and the 20 minute stretch session while Camryn was at swimming was just what my legs needed (and probably another round of stretching and foam rolling tonight!).  With that under my belt, I'm not quite as nervous about the rest of the week.  Except maybe that 20 miler on Saturday.  Yes, definitely still nervous about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment