Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 43: Don't you know I'm loco?

Today's task:  1 mile easy, 5 miles @7:40 min/mile, 1 mile easy
Today's weather:  27 degrees

Today's outcome:  1 mile @8:15, 5 miles @7:34, 1 mile @7:59

Taper, my ass!!!  This week has felt like one of the toughest yet, and I'm supposed to be winding down and resting up for the big day.  Monday's intervals were a fail (well, partial fail...the 6 out of 8 that I actually did were right on target), and today's tempo run was really challenging.  At first it didn't phase me to see 5 miles at mid-tempo...I've done lots of runs at that pace and felt great.  But after checking my training program when I got home, I realized it's been 5 weeks since I've had to run at that pace.  Every tempo run and long run since then have been at marathon pace or slower, so it makes sense that today's pace was tough for me.  My splits were all over the map (according to the Map My Run app I used for the first time ever to actually record a run) -  7:59, 7:20, 7:38, 7:36, 7:19.  I was totally distracted by the audible updates each mile, which just may have me convinced that feeling the pace and using my $10 Walmart watch is what works best for me.  


My blasted IT band started acting up about 1.5 miles in, and it would worsen and subside throughout the run.  It was a little cranky on Monday too, but I after I stopped running, I never heard from it again.  Not the case today...I'm still feeling it now, so another (or several) stretch/foam roll/ice session is on the docket for today.  During my last mile, I found myself talking to my IT band like a god damn crazy person.  "Just get me through 6 more workouts and a little race and you'll get all the rest you want, little buddy."  Little Buddy did not respond with words of love like those I gave him, but more so with a lovely little jab to the outside of my knee.  Jerkface.

Clearly this training has affected me mentally, as I have just personified a band of connective tissue in my leg and even called it a name.  To end on a less insane note, I have started consuming healthier calories over the past couple of days, with snacks like edamame or apple slices replacing the jellybeans.  Last night's dinner was turkey burgers and roasted broccoli, and today's breakfast was a hearty oatmeal with blueberries.  I'm drinking copious amounts of water, as evidenced by my countless trips to the loo every day.  I just need to work on getting to bed a little earlier and I'll be set.  Saturday's long run is a 13 miler, and I hope a certain someone can be less of a jerkface for the duration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment