Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Day 42: Ice, Ice Baby

Today's task:  10-15 minute warm up, 8 x 800m in 3:18 (90 second rest intervals), 10-15 minute cool down
Today's weather:  31 degrees, breezy

Today's outcome:  ~12 minute warm up, 3:16, 3:08, 3:17, 3:17, 3:20, 3:15, 11:22 cool down

I really want to complain about the cold right now.  The cold I thought was subsiding since I've worn shorts twice this week (just for running, but still!) and I've seen daffodils in bloom.  But I won't.  I can't.  I have too many friends in the northeast who are up to their eyeballs in snow and somehow manage to get their runs in.  I feel for you people, stay strong.  I'll only complain to southerners...deal?

Hopefully my non-rant about the cold made you forget that you only counted six 800s instead of the eight that were on my training plan today.  I wish I could say I simply forgot about two of them, but that would be false.  After the third 800, I really started noticing my left IT band and patellar tendon talking to me, so I decided I'd fight through six intervals and that would be it for the day.  Tendinitis...ain't nobody got time for that!

Today's was not a stellar workout whatsoever.  I have a tough time getting out of bed and putting forth the huge effort required to do intervals (especially 800s).  Get up and go long?  No problem.  But early morning intervals are tough on my lungs and I end up hacking and spitting throughout my recovery periods.  And I think I've mentioned before that 90 second rest intervals are just way too short for my taste.  Give me 2 minutes, or give me death!  I walked the first three rest periods, but ended up stretching for the last three.  My cool down was the same distance as my warm up, but I think I ran it a bit faster because I just wanted to be done running and have an ice pack on my knee.  

Love this logic.

I had a draining day after this morning's draining run, so tonight I'm kicking back with some ice bags, chocolate milk, and a little Teen Mom 2.


A few fun facts to finish up today's post:

1.  Those ice bags are older than my children.  And my marriage.

2.  Wrapping those ice bags well is a skill I mastered in another life, and I'm pleased to find it's much like riding a bike.  Karen the Trainer's still got it!

3.  I love the Teen Mom series.  I'm not proud.  Judge if you must.

4.  There may or may not be booze in that chocolate milk.




2 comments:

  1. You can complain about the weather to me. I am not a cold weather runner or person at all. I actually went to college in Upstate NY (coming from living in VA Beach). Now living in NJ, the weather is slightly colder then VA but not by much. I still hate it.

    I'm glad to be following your training towards Shamrock! Also I love team mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just tired of layers. There, I said it. Where did you go to college? I'm an Ithaca College Bomber :)

    ReplyDelete